Thursday, May 16, 2013

May at the AMPAS

Been a long time since blogging, unfortunately I wasn't able to record the events I experienced at the last meeting, Rise of the Digital Animator. However, I have gained a much broader perspective within the creative arts industry to actually think back and reflect on this.

But for tonight I'd like to recollect on the lecture at the AMPAS. Man, I must say though it was truly a refreshing experience to peer into the world of creative writing. I was glad to know that the writers of many blockbuster movies recognized the importance of digital technology within this age. Not only had it provided us with such spectacular visuals that we could ever conceive but also the blindly fast and convenient exchange of ideas. I must extend my sympathies to the paper delivery boys however as it seems their field has gone completely extinct as of this time. The convenience provided by techniques such as email, texting or web chatting opened a world of possibility as well as more rapid visualization of a piece.

What was interesting was how they broke into discussing film resolution from the 8mm cameras held by the angry mob to 120-240fps 4k cameras being deployed for fantasy flicks. What mattered was telling an engaging story. My input to that, is if the piece really pulls you in and engages you then it is successful. If it pulls you out and your disbelief begins to settle in then it isn't successful. The key components of cinema are to engage and transform perceptions of an audience. It doesn't matter if the material itself isn't original or technology is constrained, so long as the material services itself in telling a good story. It is within the writing where many of the major plot points and tones are handled. Possibilities are explored within a numerous back and forth conversations between the writer and director. My input to this is that, like great visual art or music there must always be a dynamic rhythm, what leads into the next and the time in between.I can imagine the countless hours and budgets thrown into this period, and it is one of the reasons why it is such a rarity to watch amazing films.

Keywords: naturalistic, hyper realism

The thing that stuck with me the most out of this panel discussion was just the how service must be paid to telling a great story. For a time I was brought to believe that the writers didn't give a good dime to telling a great story due to the fact that I've seen many terrible shows and movies. The way these talented people came to express their viewpoints this night quelled my beliefs. Funny knowing just adding one sentence to the script can drastically alter the budget for better or worse. I thought this whole time that it was the concept art [cartoon shots] that determine the budget. After tonight, however, I felt that I realized the importance of cinema within our society. I mean where else can you experience a pitch dark night raid, a comedic tragedy, raging fire storm within the mouth of volcano, fluid segways into epic introductions? Most of all where can you share the most personable experiences amongst a crowd of strangers?

No comments:

Post a Comment