Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thought Process Imba???

So getting back to what I had aforementioned in the previous blog, what is it? Should the direction I take be all for the how? Or should it be for the why? On the many sketch sessions I partake on I focus too much on delivering the wow factor. I mainly find ways to add extra spice to my drawings to pop them right of the page, giving little thought as to why they are there in the first place. However, given my past experience in the realm of academia, I was mainly taught about technique. The process is super mechanical and methodical, however lacks in the spirit of life. What was the idea behind drawing that I ask myself only to answer, "GET BETTER."

Looking in retrospect, what is it to get better at drawing? To attain a form of draftsmanship. Should my approach favor now the human/spiritual touch? This time I'd have to say, just express the feeling that you get out of drawing. What is it that we feel? What is the truth in regards to that certain moment we'd like to reflect in our drawing? Thinking about it now the reason I got into drawing was just because of how terrible my writing was. If I wanted to communicate something it had to be in the form of some really god awful sketch. But, hey, it got my message across. Now this was when I was just a tot in elementary. Taking it to middle school, I found motivation to change my directive into refining more towards technique. Finding established aesthetics and cycling through them for hours was one of my usual activities.

In the end though, I must ask did that help build what is called a visual library? Did it help me become inventive within design solutions? What did it do for me? For now I still find myself caught within a flux of becoming adept to technique, but what can I say. It's an all time fetish, for now ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment