Friday, October 26, 2012

4 Majors, 7 Finals

I recalled at an earlier point in my academic career, circa 4 years, talking to my coworker.

He told me how he was taking 4 majors at both our school and a small community college. His majors were in Electrical Engineering, Math, Mechanical, and Civil. To me, I felt he deserved to be written in the Guiness Book of World Records for having taken 7 finals in one day while working a 4 hour shift in graphic design. Never had combining two and two together seemed so daunting in relation to the way he could handle his academic studies and do some decent graphic designs, and pass all his classes. He even told me that by my young age he was able to complete all courses within Physics and proceed into the core requirements of his majors. I was completely baffled by his efforts.

It wasn't until one day in early spring where I had asked my other coworkers how this Renaissance man was able to pull it off. One of them told it was just because all the core foundations were all similar. That's when I had realized it that he couldn't have done all these majors if they were all completely different. Imagine taking Pyschology and Electrical Engineering. Though both may share some similar foundational courses, both diverge tremendously when the further they become specialized.

It was this sort of thinking that I had taken and had made an effort to strengthen my understanding within the arts. The field itself is composed of several specialized facets, Photography, 3D Modelling, Animation, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Transportation, etc. They all share common foundations that with the right amount of effort could be translated throughout. It is a form of language with several different accents and grammatical structures after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment